October 20, 2008

Poems and Sad Things

This is the poetry part.

I got my paws on the computer this afternoon, because the ladypeep left the laptop open and the computer turned on. And, now I'm having an extreme case of "I got nothing to say".... So, I thought perhaps I'd write a poem.

Yessiree Bob, I'm a cat of many many talents.
So without further ado, here is a haiku - heh, heh, see what I mean. I just can't help myself.

Before I go further, I guess I should say what a haiku is, in case you don't know. Its supposed to be some kind of ancient Japanese form of poetry - and its got lotsa rules - for instance, 1) its supposed to be about nature, or seasons, or something like that, and its gotta have 3 lines, line 1 having words that make 5 syllables, line 2 with words to make 7 syllables, and line 3 must have 5 syllables. The whole thing is supposed to be a coherent thought - which took some time, but here goes.

It's about me

Steely eyed and still
I wait for a chance to pounce
on my catnip mouse


Yeah, I know it doesn't really fit the rules, but I'm a cat and part of nature, so I think it should be okay.

Now here comes the sad part.

Sam the Dog went to the bridge this summer.

He was getting really really old and really skinny and cranky all the time. Mostly he just laid on the rug by the front door and sighed great big sighs. He liked to be outside, and loved to go for walks, but he wasn't strong enough to go very far anymore. The lady peep and man peep took him for a walk one night - just once around the block - and he had to stop, because he couldn't walk no further, so the lady peep picked him up and carried him home, just like a baby, in her arms. Her eyes were leaking and leaking and that man peep, well he had a worry frown in his forehead and a sad look in his eyes. So what happened next was that lady peep and the man peep, they sat down on the couch with Sam the Dog between them, all cuddled up, with Sam's head in the peep lady's lap and the man peep kinda rubbing his belly. They had a very long talk with him. They asked him if he was too tired to stay with us anymore, and if he wanted them to help him go to the bridge. I think he was very glad they did that, because it just wasn't much fun for him here anymore. He hurt every time he moved, and he couldn't walk up and down the stairs any more. He couldn't always wait for the lady peep to come home and put him outside to pee. So, he licked the lady peep's hand and thumped his tail a couple times to say Yes, he was ready to go. The next morning, the man peep cooked Sam's very favorite breakfast, bacon and eggs, and let him eat the whole thing right off a plate on the kitchen floor. Then, the lady peep put him in his crate in the hallway. Me and Phinney, we didn't know what to do, so we said goodbye to him - I stuck my big paw into the crate and tried to pat his nose and Phinney, he just sat there and wailed. He's such a crybaby. Anyway what happened next was that the lady peep with her eyes leaking buckets of water, put him in the car and drove him to the bridge. Well she actually drove him to the Vet's and hugged him really close to her heart and said she loved him while the vet showed him how to go to the bridge. It was a very very sad day. I miss him. Phinney does too.

13 comments:

The Crew said...

We're sorry to hear about Sam and it was nice of you, Eddy, to pat him goodbye.

Beethoven said...

I'm so sad to hear about Sam. I is crying and crying too even though the Giant Kiity laughs at me for being such a crybaby. But I think we should just cry when we're sad. I'm sending lots of purrs to your whole family.

Sassy Kat said...

Oh no, that is too sad! The mom of the house has the tears streaming down her face. I am so sorry to hear about Sam. Sending prayers to your family, I know Sam will be missed. So so so very sorry.

Asta said...

Eddy
I heawd about you fwom my sissie Sassy, so Icame ovew to wead this sad stowy..I'm sowwy that Sam had to cwoss the bwidge..it 's so hawd to say goodby..you wewe a sweetie to pat him..Give youw Peepe lots of love and comfowt each othew
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Oh Eddie, we're sorry to hear that Sam hadda go to the bridge. At least he isn't tired and hurty anymore. We missed yoo guys furry much. Right now Zippy is hiding in da basement cuz strange beans were running thru our yard tonight. She is getting to be more of a snuggler and scaredy cat as she gets older.

Dr Tweety of da Fab Five said...

Eddie,
Da momee justee red dis to us, & all our eyez are leakin.' We iz so sorry dats SAM wents to da bridge. We are sendin' oevfur speshul angel frendz to be wit him.
We iz sendin' LOVE your way.
Dr Tweety

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

We are sorry Sam had to go to the Bridge. We can tell it was the best for him cuz he told your Beans he was ready to go. He will be watching over all of you.

Sassy Kat said...

I need Fat Eddy to get back to me with an email that I sent to him. I hope everything is OK at your place.

Beethoven said...

Hey Eddy, how's things? You guys are all invited over on Saturday! Here's the invitation!

Black Cat said...

I'm so, so sorry that Sam had to go to the Bridge. He will be playing happily there and watching over you all.

I like your haiku. Thanks for explaining the rules, I've often wondered:) xxx

Sassy Kat said...

I hope your mom reads this:
Please email me at: sassycatlittle@yahoo.com

I need to talk to you. I am sorry that we keep missing each other.
xoxoxo,
Sas

Parker said...

We are very sorry to read about Sam.
Purrs to all of you...

Kat Mortensen said...

That IS a sad story, Eddy and Phinny. Weez sure that Sam is up dere on the Bridge smilin' down on his ol' furriends.
We don't have a dog in de Hyggehus. Weez never even seen a dog. Wut's a dog, Eddy?
Anywayz, weez sorry if yuz sad. That makes us sad too.

Bye fur now!

The Hyggecats